Are Rats Right for You?
I've said it many times. Rats are great pets. For me, they are perfect pets. However, I realize that there is no such thing as a perfect pet for everyone. Rats have their particular quirks and requirements that may or may not fit what you want or need in a pet.
If you answer "true" to all these questions, rats might be the ideal pets for you and your family.
- No one in my home is afraid of rats.
- If I rent, my landlord allows caged pets.
- I don't live in an area where pet rats are illegal (ie. Alberta).
- No one in my house is allergic to rats.
- I can keep my rats in a safe and healthy environment, indoors, with proper temperature (65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit).
- I like the general appearence and personality of rats.
- If there are small children in the house, they can be kept away from the rats when not supervised.
- If there are other animals in the house, they can be kept away from the rats when not supervised.
- I have room in my home for a 15 gallon aquarium or similar-sized cage.
- I can afford $30-$50 for a good cage and supplies.
- I can afford around $10 a month for quality food and litter.
- I am willing and able to pay for any unforseen costs (like emergency surgery).
- I know a nearby vet who treats rats.
- I plan to get two or more rats to house together.
- I can clean cages every week or as necessary.
- I (or people in my house) don't mind whatever rat odor there is.
- I can devote an hour or more a day to holding and playing with them.
- I can make arrangements for their care if I go on vacation.
- I can take care of them for their entire lives (up to four years).
- I can emotionally handle a rat's short lifespan, knowing I will get attached to him.
Stuck in someone's frames? Don't see a navigation box on the upper left? Click here!